Surat: The crisis management team (CMT) of the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) continued to battle on Sunday the blaze that broke out during repair operations at an onshore well in south Gujarat late on Saturday, an official said.
“At least 12 people, seven of them from CMT, sustained burn injuries and have been shifted to a hospital in Surat, while all necessary medical treatment is being given to the others,” the state-run explorer said in a statement.
The fire broke out at ONGC’s onshore well in Olpad area, about 80 km from Ankleshwar in south Gujrat, during repair operations late on Saturday.
“All non-essential people have been evacuated from the accident area. Since there is no habitation within two km radius of the well, there is no immediate danger to life and property in the surrounding areas,” the statement said.
The incident occurred when a blow-out preventer, installed on wells to prevent a fire, was being repaired at a well in OLPAD-31 in Ankleshwar basin. According to local officials, gas leaking from the well being drilled by the ONGC caught fire.