Melbourne: The West Indies cricketer Chris Gayle could be expelled from the ongoing Big Bash League if Cricket Australia’s investigations into an alleged act of indecent exposure during last year’s Cricket World Cup prove the incident actually occurred, according to media reports.
Following Gayle’s on-air flirtations with Channel TEN reporter Mel McLaughlin, a Sydney Morning Herald report said on Wednesday that a woman “who requested anonymity” had since claimed the West Indies batting star had indecently exposed himself to her in a dressing room at the Sydney Cricket Ground last February, reports CMC.
The Australian woman said she entered the dressing room thinking it was empty only to discover Gayle, who dropped his towel to partially expose his genitals while asking: “Are you looking for this?”
Gayle’s management group, Insignia Sports International, has rejected the claims.
“Chris denies the allegations published by Fairfax Media… there will be no further comment from Chris or his management at this stage,” a statement said on Wednesday.
However, the Sydney Morning Herald has reported that if the claims of indecent exposure are substantiated, Gayle could find himself “sacked and banned” from the Big Bash.
The left-handed Gayle, one of the main drawing cards in the tournament, has already been fined Australian dollars 10,000 (US$7,000) by the BBL for his ill-advised on-air antics with McLaughlin.
Following a whirlwind 41 for Melbourne Renegades that helped set up a five-wicket win over Hobart Hurricanes on Monday at Bellerive Oval, Gayle told the shocked reporter: “I wanted to have an interview with you as well, that’s why I’m here.”
He added: “I get to see your eyes for the first time, it’s nice. Hopefully we can win and go for a drink after. Don’t blush, baby.”
BBL head Anthony Everard said Gayle’s behaviour had no place in the Twenty20 tournament.