KOLKATA: With allegations of ‘medical negligence’ dropping in, a blame game has erupted over the tragic death of promising Bengal opening batsman Ankit Keshri who passed away on Monday morning.

Ankit Keshri succumbed to a head injury sustained during a cricket match a few days ago in an on-field collision with another player while taking a catch in a Cricket Association of Bengal’s senior one-day knock-out match on April 17 at JU second campus ground in Salt Lake. (Also Read: Former Bengal Under-19 batsman Ankit Keshri dies after on-field injury)

Keshri who represented East Bengal in the match against Bhowanipore Club was immediately rushed to the AMRI Hospital in the area. He was then shifted to Nightingale Hospital on Shakespeare Sarani on Sunday night after East Bengal senior official Sadanand Mukherjee signed the risk bond at the AMRI Hospital and the former Bengal U-19 captain died early Monday morning because of cardiac arrest.

A blame game erupted over the matter as the super specialty hospital in Salt Lake claimed of not been given a proper chance to treat the cricketer further while East Bengal’s Sadanand Mukherjee made the contradictory claims.

“We wanted to conduct more investigations on him like CT angio and other tests but we were not given a chance to treat him because the patient was taken after the club and family authorities signed the risk bond and after which we discharged him,” said AMRI CEO Rupak Baruah said.

Baruah added that the doctor attending Keshri told the patient parties that he was aerodynamically stable but did not suggest his discharge from the hospital.

“He was under treatment at the critical care unit… AMRI had conducted CT scan of the brain and 13 dopplers and wanted further investigation,” Baruah said.

Mukherjee on the other hand claimed, “We went by what doctors told us and for better treatment we took him to Nightingale. It was a decision taken in consultation with the family.”

However, East Bengal coach Pranab Nandi further intensified the charges claiming, “There was no indication from the hospital at all. They in fact told us that Keshri would be shifted to general bed and nothing revealed in the scan.”

It is to be noted that the Nightingale Hospital has a tie-up with the Cricket Association of Bengal and the state body said they shifted the cricketer for better treatment.

“It has nothing to do with the tie-up and we shifted him purely for his better treatment,” CAB joint-secretary Subir Ganguly said.

In their medical bulletin, the Nightingale Hospital mentioned that the pulse rate of Keshri was low and he had a brain swelling (edema) that caused the cardiac arrest.

“Early morning he suffered a cardiac arrest and immediately we put him on pacemaker. But in spite of all our efforts, heart could not be revived and the unfortunate death occurred,” explained Dr. Arpan Chowdhury, critical care expert in the bulletin.

However, the doctor refused to comment on the condition of the late cricketer at the AMRI. “After we got the patient, we felt the need to keep him in ICU because there was a chance of further deterioration in such types of injury,” he said.

Raj Kumar, the inconsolable father of Ankit Keshri said, “I don’t know why he was shifted to Nightingale. We always wanted better treatment and his East Bengal coach and officials did all the formalities (of signing the risk bond).”

(With Agency Inputs)

For all the latest Sports News, download NewsX App