Rio de Janeiro: Brazil coach Dunga has reportedly been summoned to a meeting with the country’s top football officials on Tuesday amid growing calls for his dismissal.
Brazil were eliminated from the Copa America Centenario following their 0-1 loss to Peru on Sunday, a result tainted by controversy after replays showed Raul Ruidiaz used his right hand to score Peru’s second-half winner.
It was the first time since 1987 that Brazil has failed to progress beyond the group stage of the world’s oldest continental tournament.
“The loss to Peru could have been Dunga’s last match in charge of Brazil,” the Globo newspaper said on Monday.
“It is the latest in a series of fiascos for Dunga since his appointment in 2014.”
Some other media outlets were even more certain about the coach’s fate.
“The CBF (Brazilian football confederation) has called a meeting with Dunga and is likely to sack him,” the Estado de S.Paulo newspaper said.
The newspaper added that the 52-year-old was likely to remain in charge of Brazil’s Olympic football team for the Rio 2016 Games in August.
Dunga, Brazil’s 1994 World Cup-winning captain, had already been told results needed to improve immediately in a meeting with the CBF’s top brass in April.
Brazil are currently sixth in the South American zone qualifying standings for the 2018 World Cup.
Only the top four sides are guaranteed a berth for the tournament in Russia while the fifth-ranked team will earn a play-off spot.
Since taking charge of Brazil for the second time after the team’s 1-7 World Cup semi-final defeat to Germany in July 2014, Dunga has led them to 12 wins, five draws and three defeats.
During his first spell in charge – from 2006 to 2010 – his record was 37 wins, 11 draws and six defeats.
The favorite to replace Dunga, should he be sacked, is 55-year-old Corinthians coach Tite, who guided the Sao Paulo club to last year’s Brazilian Serie A title.