Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the ambitious 138 metre inter-state Sardar Sarovar Dam project on Narmada River on his 67th birthday on Sunday. The engineering marvel is the biggest dam in India with a height of over 138 meters and water capacity of 4.73 million acre feet.
Overall, 10 lakh farmers would get irrigation benefits and 4 crore people would benefit from drinking water supply from the Sardar Sarovar Dam which is the second biggest dam in the world. Here we take a look at the other mega dams around the globe:
1) Grand Coulee Dam (United States) – 160 meters high with a 6800 MW power plant.
2) Three Gorges Dam (China) – World’s largest dam in terms of power production with 22500 MW at its disposal.
3) Hoover Dam (United States) – One of the most iconic dams in the world.
4) Ataturk Dam (Turkey) – Rock filled dam built at a cost 1.2 billion USD
5) Contra Dam (Switzerland) – with 220 meters height; it’s amongst the world’s most popular dams.