- CBI vs CBI: CVC report copy to be given to Alok Verma, Supreme Court sets November 20 for next hearing
- Sabarimala row LIVE updates: Trupti Desai an RSS activist, says Kerala Minister VS Sunil Kumar
- Cyclone Gaja LIVE updates: 23 people dead in cyclonic storm, CM Palaniswami announces Rs 10 lakh compensation
Washington: The US Government today expressed condolences to the family of the 57-year-old Indian man, who has been left partially paralysed after a police officer allegedly assaulted him in Alabama, but refrained to comment on any diplomatic discussion with India on this issue.
“The Secretary (of State) and the State Department certainly express our strong condolences to the family for everything that he has been through,” the State Department Spokesperson, Jen Psaki, told reporters at her daily news conference.
Sureshbhai Patel, who was visiting his son in Alabama, has been left partially paralysed after a police officer lastweek allegedly forced him on ground in Alabama without any provocation.
According to Madison Police, Patel was questioned by police officers after receiving report of a “suspicious person” and wanted to search him. He was thrown to the ground during which he was injured.
Patel’s family today sued the Madison City in Alabama and two unidentified police officers, alleging that he “was violently assaulted” by police without provocation.
Several Indian-American organisations and rights bodies not only condemned the brutality against Patel, who was visiting his son in Alabama, but also demanded action against the police official whose aggression last week has left him paralysed.
The city police has ordered an investigation into the matter and the police officer has been put under administrative leave till the investigation is complete.
“This is being handled by local authorities. And certainly, we would address any concerns through private diplomatic channels,” Psaki said in response to a question.