New Delhi: Twenty-one schoolgirls, who were kidnapped by the Islamic group Boko Haram two years ago, were on Monday reunited with their families.
The girls were freed on Wednesday last week after negotiations between the Islamic extremist group and the Nigerian government.
Of the 276 students kidnapped in 2014, 197 are still missing.
Speaking in the local Hausa language, one of the girls freed told BBC, “We had no food for one month and 10 days but we did not die. We thank God.”
Another girl said: “We never imagined that we would see this day but, with the help of God, we were able to come out of enslavement.”
The kidnapped girls were mostly Christian but had been forcibly converted to Islam during captivity.
According to reports, a handsome amount of money was paid by the Swiss govt on behalf of Nigerian govt to the Islamic group.
“I never expected I will see my daughter again and I pray that those girls still left behind, that God will bring them out safely the way our own daughter came out alive,” said a mother of one of the released girls.
Expressing his joy over the release of 21 girls, the Nigerian President Yemi Osinbajo said, “It’s very exciting news for the whole country.”
For all the latest World News, download NewsX App