The Azerbaijani Army has lost more than 3,000 servicemen since the eruption of hostilities in conflict-torn Nagorno-Karabakh, the press secretary of the president of the self-proclaimed Republic of Artsakh said on Saturday.”The intelligence data show that the Azerbaijani losses had already exceeded 3,000 servicemen. Most bodies remain in the neutral zone, and nothing is being done for their transportation,” Vagram Pogosyan wrote on his Facebook page. On Sunday morning, an escalation unfolded along the contact line of Nagorno-Karabakh, an Armenian-majority autonomy that proclaimed independence from what then was the Soviet Azerbaijan Republic in 1991.

Azerbaijan launched what it described as a “counteroffensive,” while the Artsakh authorities accused Azerbaijani forces of opening fire against civilians and civilian infrastructure in its capital of Stepanakert.The armed hostilities continue at this point. US officials have spoken to Armenian and Azerbaijani leaders and urged them to cease hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in an interview.

“We’re urging a ceasefire. We want them both to back up. We’ve spoken to the leadership in each of the two countries, asking them to do just that,” Pompeo told Fox News on Thursday. Pompeo urged third party states to remove themselves from the conflict amid Armenia’s allegations that Turkey is involved in the hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh.

ALSO READ: Kim Jong-un wishes Donald Trump a speedy recovery from Covid-19

ALSO READ: World markets dip after Trump tests positive for coronavirus