At least three people were injured in a pipe bomb explosion carried out by a suicide bomber in New York’s Port Authority Bus Terminal, one of the city’s busiest commuter hubs, on a busy Monday morning. The suspect, identified as a 20-something, was taken into custody. He was reported to have suffered serious injuries and was taken to a hospital. New York Mayor Bill de Blasio termed the blast as an ‘attempted terrorist attack’ while New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the device used in the subway explosion was ‘low-tech’.

The New York Police Department had earlier tweeted out that they were responding to reports of an explosion in midtown Manhattan at 42nd Street and 8th Avenue on a busy Monday morning. Multiple subway lines were evacuated and then shut for the public. The explosion was heard five blocks from Times Square near one of the busiest bus terminals, the Port Authority, which serves as the main station for interstate buses into Manhattan and New York City.

“The NYPD is responding to reports of an explosion of unknown origin at 42nd Street and 8th Ave, #Manhattan,” tweeted the department. “The A, C and E line are being evacuated at this time. Info is preliminary, more when available,” the first tweet had said.

 The suspect set off the device, possibly a pipe bomb, at the bus terminal subway station, injuring himself, reported the New York Post, citing law enforcement sources. The suspected bomber – who had wires attached to him – was armed with a pipe bomb and a battery pack, and was taken into custody after the device partially detonated inside the passageway, said sources. He has been admitted to hospital.

The NYPD also issued a traffic update on their Twitter handle.

Eyewitnesses said there was a stampede to get out of the site of the blast and that there was absolute mayhem.

ABC News had identified the suspect as a badly injured 20-something. The suspect was, sources said, carrying a possible second device.

The blast took place at one of the busiest commuter hubs in Manhattan on a busy Monday morning. ABC News confirmed injuries to commuters at New York’s port authority. 

The NYPD had earlier ruled out injuries to commuters and also sent out traffic advisory.

President of United States of America Donald Trump and the New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio were also briefed on the incident.

An Uzbek immigrant, a couple of months ago, sped down a bike path in New York city killing eight people. The Islamic State had claimed responsibility for the attack.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

For all the latest World News, download NewsX App