3 more arrested for ‘Khalistani’ violence in Australia; Total 5 held since January
30 March, 2023 | Vaishali Sharma
Three men have been arrested in connection with violent brawls that erupted in late January in Melbourne between pro-Khalistani supporters and Indian demonstrators, police in the Australian state o...
Three men have been arrested in connection with violent brawls that erupted in late January in Melbourne between pro-Khalistani supporters and Indian demonstrators, police in the Australian state of Victoria said on Thursday.
The arrests were made by the Melbourne East Neighbourhood Policing Team “in relation to an alleged affray” at Federation Square on January 29, according to a statement issued by Victoria Police today. With the most recent arrests, police have now apprehended five people in connection with the incident.
“Police were in attendance at a Khalistan Referendum event at Federation Square on 29 January when it’s alleged two fights broke out, one at about 12.45pm and the other at about 4.30pm,” it stated.
Police said that the investigation remains ongoing and they are making enquiries to identify and apprehend any further alleged offenders from the day.
According to Victoria Police during the fight it is alleged flag poles “were used by several men as weapons which caused physical injuries to multiple victims.”
Paramedics treated two victims on the scene, one with a hand laceration to the head and the other with a hand injury. Several other victims were injured and required medical attention.
Police said they responded quickly in both alleged incidents to separate and disperse the crowds. According to the police report, OC spray (pepper spray) was used in the second incident.
Earlier this month, Victoria police released images of six men seeking public assistance in identifying them.
Victoria Police said today that two men were arrested on the day of the incident, with three more arrested this week.
A 23-year-old man from Kalkallo has been charged with affray and unlawful assault, as has a 39-year-old man from Strathtulloh and a 36-year-old man from Craigieburn, both of whom have been charged with affray and violent disorder.
All three of those charged this week have been released on bail and are scheduled to appear in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on August 8.
During his March visit to India, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese stated that his country will not tolerate any extreme actions or attacks on religious buildings, and that such action against Hindu temples has no place.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese discussed the disruptions caused by pro-Khalistani outfits in Australia, and the Australian Prime Minister assured that his government will take all necessary steps to ensure peace and harmony prevail.