Curfew in Udaipur relaxed for 10 hrs, internet services remain suspended

3 July, 2022 | Pravina Srivastava

1 2022 07 03t152747781 413041 National

Udaipur district government today relaxed the curfew for ten hours, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Udaipur district government today relaxed the curfew for ten hours, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mobile internet access is still not available.

Following the murder of a tailor, Kanhaiya Lal, on June 28 due to a social media post endorsing suspended BJP spokeswoman Nupur Sharma, the state-wide curfew was implemented. Additionally, it increased racial conflict in the city. The two men who decapitated a tailor in Udaipur were taken Saturday by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) from the maximum-security prison in Ajmer and brought to Jaipur where they will appear before an NIA court.

Riyaz Akhtari and Ghouse Mohammad, both accused, were escorted on Friday under heavy security to the high-security prison in Ajmer.

Both accused are being transported to the Jaipur High Court for production following the decision handed down by the Udaipur Court on Saturday.

In the video, the attackers introduced themselves as Riyaz Akhtari and Ghouse Mohammad. In the video, Riyaz is seen using a sharp object to strike Kanhaiya Lal, 47, while Ghouse records the incident on his phone.

The victim, a former BJP politician who made contentious comments about the Prophet Mohammad, apparently recently published a social media message in support of Nupur Sharma.

In the Rajsamand district, Riyaz and Ghouse were detained in the town of Bhim.

On Wednesday, Kanhaiya Lal was cremated in Udaipur in front of a sizable crowd who shouted out demands for the accused to get the death penalty. Heavily armed cops were present during his last rituals.

According to information released by Rajasthan Police on Wednesday, the key suspects in the murder of the tailor in Udaipur had contact with the Dawat-e-Islami group in Pakistan. One of the suspects had even been to Karachi in that country in 2014 to meet with the group.

Director-General of Police (DGP) for Rajasthan, ML Lather, stated that in addition to the primary suspect, police had also detained three additional individuals with whom they had communicated.

The investigation into the gruesome killing of a tailor, Kanhaiya Lal, who was hacked to death inside of his shop by two men in broad daylight in Udaipur, Rajasthan, was taken over by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Wednesday.