NIA makes 7th arrest in Udaipur murder case,  Section 144  repealed

11 July, 2022 | Riya Girdhar

1 2022 07 08t173354946 578111 National

The Rajasthan administration revokes Section 144 in Udaipur, notifying that Section 144 will be invoked for seven hours, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., beginning Monday, July 11.

The Rajasthan government lifted the curfew in Udaipur on Sunday, while the National Investigation Agency (NIA) arrested a seventh person in connection with the brutal killing of tailor Kanhaiya Lal in Udaipur last month.

The Rajasthan government lifted the curfew imposed after Udaipur tailor Kanhaiya Lal Teli was beheaded on June 28 in Udaipur. The Udaipur district administration has announced that section 144 will be activated for seven hours, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., beginning Monday, July 11.

Furthermore, special public prosecutor T P Sharma stated that “the seventh accused, Farhad Mohammad Sheikh, was produced before the court and was sent on police remand until July 12,” while Farhad Mohammad Sheikh, alias Babla, was arrested on Saturday evening.

The spokesperson also stated that he was a “close criminal associate” of Riaz Akhtari, one of the two main accused, and played an active role in the plot to murder the tailor. The heinous attack on the tailor by Riaz Akhtari, also known as Riyaz Attari, was captured on video by Ghouse Mohammad and posted online. In a later video, they claimed that they hacked Lal to death to avenge an alleged insult to Islam.

In a related development, Rajasthan district collector Prabha Gautam issued orders stating that the districts of Dhanmandi, Ghanta Ghar, Hathipole, Ambamata Surajpole, Bhupalpura, Savina, Govardhan Vilas, Hiran Magri, Pratapnagar, and Sukher would be exempt from the imposed movement restrictions.

Meanwhile, the brutal killing occurred on June 28 between 3 p.m. and 3.30 p.m., and the information was received at the National Investigation Agency (NIA) on June 29 via an order issued by the MHA’s Counter-Terrorism and Counter Radicalization Division (CTCR).

Following the MHA’s order, the NIA, in accordance with the National Investigation Agency Act, 2008, began investigating the case, and the Central agency’s Superintendent of Police Ravi Choudhary, an IPS officer, was directed to act as the Chief Investigation Officer.