
Macron, Meloni clash over Lyon killing of far-right activist. (Photo: X/@NewsAlgebraIND)
A heated exchange broke out on Thursday between French President Emmanuel Macron and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni over the killing of a French far-right activist in Lyon. The activist was reportedly beaten by hard-left protesters during weekend demonstrations.
Authorities said seven people, including an aide to a lawmaker from the far-left France Unbowed (LFI), will face murder charges. They were among 11 individuals arrested earlier this week.
Meloni, a conservative, had posted on social media on Wednesday that the killing, “by groups linked to left-wing extremism … is a wound for all of Europe.”
That triggered an angry response from Macron on Thursday, who told reporters during a visit to India: “I’m always struck by how people who are nationalists, who don’t want to be bothered in their own country, are always the first ones to comment on what’s happening in other countries.”
Asked if his remarks referred to Meloni, Macron replied: “You got that right.”
Macron, a pro-Europe centrist, and Meloni, one of U.S. President Donald Trump’s closest European allies, have sparred in the past over issues ranging from the conflict in Ukraine to trade and European policy.
The killing of Quentin Deranque, 23, during the Lyon clashes has caused uproar in France, damaging the LFI and allowing the far-right National Rally to depict itself as a victim of deadly extremist violence.
Lyon prosecutor Thierry Dran said Jacques-Elie Favrot, an assistant to LFI lawmaker Raphael Arnault, faces charges of complicity through instigation and was put in pre-trial detention.
Favrot and the other suspects deny the accusations, he added.
Arnault said earlier this week that the aide had “stopped all parliamentary work”. Favrot’s lawyer said his client has acknowledged committing violence and being present at the site, but said he was not “the author of the blows that caused the death of Mr. Deranque.”
In response to Macron‘s criticism of Meloni, the Italian Prime Minister’s office issued a statement expressing astonishment at the comments, saying Meloni had “expressed her deep sorrow and dismay at the tragic killing of young Quentin Deranque.”
(With Reuters Inputs)
Sofia Babu Chacko is a journalist with over five years of experience covering Indian politics, crime, human rights, gender issues, and stories about marginalized communities. She believes that every voice matters, and journalism has a vital role to play in amplifying those voices. Sofia is committed to creating impact and shedding light on stories that truly matter. Beyond her work in the newsroom, she is also a music enthusiast who enjoys singing.
The US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs in a 6-3 ruling, declaring…
Rajasthan Royals will play four IPL 2026 home games in Jaipur after resolving issues with…
Donald Trump Calls Supreme Court Ruling On Tariffs A ‘Disgrace’, Says ‘He Has A Backup Plan’
After the U.S. Supreme Court struck down his sweeping tariffs, Donald Trump called the ruling…