Categories: Sports

‘Shame On Us’: Bollywood Actor John Abraham Reacts To Indian Football’s Crisis

The senior footballers had appealed to FIFA to intervene as the Indian Super League (ISL) remains suspended

Add NewsX As A Trusted Source
Add as a preferred
source on Google
Published by Somya Kapoor
Published: January 4, 2026 18:41:27 IST

Bollywood actor and Northeast United FC co-owner John Abraham has reacted to the issues in Indian football. Sharing a recent video in which senior footballers appealed to FIFA to intervene as the Indian Super League (ISL) remains suspended, Abraham wrote, “Shame on us… this is what we have come to.”

What The Senior Footballers Said?

Gurpreet started the video by saying that this was the time they were supposed to be playing in the league.

“It’s January and we should be on your screens as a part of a competitive football game in the Indian Super League. Instead, here we are, driven by fear and desperation. To say aloud something which we all know. But more importantly, we are here to make a plea. Indian football governance is no longer able to fulfil its responsibilities. We are now staring at a permanent paralysis. This is a last-ditch effort to save what we can. So we are calling FIFA to step in and do what it takes to save Indian football.”

“We hope this message gets to the powers that are in Zurich. This call is not political. It is not driven by confrontation, but by necessity. It might sound like a big one, but the truth is that we are facing a humanitarian, sporting, and economic crisis, and of course, we need rescuing at the earliest. Players, staff, owners, and the fans deserve clarity, protection and more importantly, a future. We just want to play football. Please help us do it,” said the players in the video.

The tournament has remained suspended since September last year. 

ISL Dates To Be Announced Soon

The AIFF later said that the dates for ISL will be announced next week. 

In its proposal, the AIFF has sought the clubs to provide its preferred format by January 4, while adding, “we feel that a single leg home and away or a single leg centralised venue where each team plays approximately 13 matches (if all 14 teams participate) would be the appropriate option this season. Accordingly, AIFF proposes to write to AFC on 4th January 2026 to gain exemption, depending on the format chosen by clubs.”

Also Read: ‘Indian Football Governance Is No Longer…’: Sunil Chhetri Leads Indian players’ Video Appeal To FIFA Amid Ongoing Football Crisis

Published by Somya Kapoor
Published: January 4, 2026 18:41:27 IST

Recent Posts

Is Artemis 2 Delayed Again? NASA Chief Suddenly Ruled Out March Moon Mission Due to THIS Major Reason — Here’s What We Know So Far

NASA’s long-awaited return to deep space has hit another unexpected pause. Just weeks after signalling…

February 22, 2026

Will Americans Still Get $2,000 Tariff Checks After Supreme Court’s 6–3 Blow to Trump’s Trade Policy?

Donald Trump’s proposals to distribute $2,000 payments to Americans using tariff revenue were already facing…

February 22, 2026

Who Is Sophie Shine? Professional Career, Age, Background, And Marriage To Shikhar Dhawan

Who is Sophie Shine? Explore the full profile of Shikhar Dhawan’s wife, including her age,…

February 21, 2026