WHO Chief Asks China to Share Requested Data to Probe Origins of Covid-19
15 December, 2022 | Pranay Lad
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director, urged China on Wednesday to release the information on Covid-19 that has been sought in order to learn more about the virus's genesis.
In an effort to identify the origins of the virus, World Health Organization (WHO) director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged China to release the information on Covid-19 that has been sought.
According to a statement on the WHO website, the WHO director addressed a media briefing, “We continue to urge China to disclose the data and perform the research that we have asked, to better understand the origins of this virus.” All theories are still on the table, as I’ve indicated many times, he said.
The exact circumstances surrounding the origin of SARS-CoV-2 as a respiratory disease capable of sustained human-to-human transmission are still being debated three years after its first in Wuhan, China.
Experts have proposed two leading hypotheses on the virus’s genesis. According to the first hypothesis, SARS-CoV-2 spreads naturally among zoonotic species.
The second hypothesis is that a research-related occurrence led to the virus’s human infection.
Every few months, a WHO council meets to determine whether the new coronavirus, which has claimed the lives of over 6.6 million people, still constitutes a “public health emergency of worldwide significance” (PHEIC).
The head of the WHO expressed “hopefulness” that the COVID-19 pandemic won’t be regarded as a global health emergency in 2019.
According to a statement on the WHO website, the head of the agency expressed optimism that COVID-19 will no longer qualify as a global health emergency at some time in the coming year.
The Omicron variety “had just been found and was starting to take off,” he said, one year prior.
“COVID-19 was then murdering 50,000 people per week. Less than 10,000 individuals worldwide passed away last week. Although there is still plenty that all nations can do to save lives, 10,000 is still too many, and we have gone a long way,” he added.
The conditions for announcing the end of the emergency will be reviewed in the Emergency Committee’s subsequent meeting in January, according to the chairman of the WHO.
The virus “won’t go away,” he continued, adding that all nations “will need to learn to handle it alongside other respiratory infections like influenza and RSV, both of which are currently intensely circulating in many countries.”